Thoma Electric, Inc. is seeking an experienced full time Electrical Design Engineer and Project Manager to join our engineering team in San Luis Obispo, California, located 1.5 miles from downtown. As an engineer/designer you will be responsible for the code compliant design and specification of electrical systems as part of multi-disciplinary building projects in healthcare, education, commercial, government, agriculture, as well as others throughout California. These typically include power distribution systems, lighting layout and controls, fire alarm systems, emergency backup systems, controls and communication systems. Project Manager responsibilities include coordinating design efforts between in-house design team, the client, and other trades in an effective, professional, and efficient manner.
- Design electrical systems over a wide variety of electrical and communications systems and applications.
- Provide insightful and innovative design solutions for challenging projects throughout California.
- Clearly communicate design intent with clients and project team members.
- Organize workload to meet project deadlines and ensure project success.
- Create conceptual design and construction documents with AutoCAD and Revit.
- Create project specifications; specify component and gear; coordinate utility systems requirements.
- Perform construction administration including submittal reviews, RFI responses, and final job walks and job observations.
- Create building energy and lighting models for California Title 24 Compliance, as well as participate in other more complex energy innovation projects and energy efficiency solutions.
- Perform engineering calculations and analysis such as load, voltage drop, short circuit current, equipment protection, etc.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or experience as a designer in electrical and communication systems.
- 7+ years experience in electrical design and construction.
- Project manager or lead engineer experience.
- Proficient in design entry tools such as AutoCAD and Revit.
- Experience producing construction documents.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and in written.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience dealing with OSHPD, DSA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant codes such and California Title 24, California Electrical Code/NEC, Green Building Codes. LEED accreditation is desirable.
- AutoDesk Revit, EnergyPro, and/or Visual software experience is desirable.
- Experience with fault analysis tools like ETAP or SKM is desirable.